In the fall of 2009, Mariner magazine asked if I’d go to Mazatlan to write about the cliff divers there. I’d watched cliff divers in Acapulco during the ’70s on ABC’s Wide World of Sports but didn’t know they were still plunging into the sea. I spent three days with the divers, who – if they don’t time their dives right – may crash into way-too-shallow water. Occasionally there are fatalities. I had two days between the Mazatlan trip and a 24-day journey down the Grand Canyon and wrote this piece at the sleek Hotel Valley Ho in Scottsdale.
- Michael Shapiro will talk about The Creative Spark: How musicians, writers, explorers, and other artists found their inner fire and followed their dreams
- Creativity: how do we access it, nurture it, and sustain it?
- Modernism Week, Palm Springs
- Giant Among Giants: Mike Krukow, Alaska Beyond, August 2019
- Michael Shapiro 2017 Sonoma County TEDx talk in Santa Rosa, Calif.
- Boys of Winter: Playing baseball with my heroes at SF Giants fantasy camp, Lexus magazine
- Once in a Lifetime: Visiting Bruegel in Vienna with my mom, Perceptive Travel, Feb. 2019