In the fall of 2009, Mariner magazine asked if I’d go to Mazatlan to write about the cliff divers there. I’d watched cliff divers in Acapulco during the ’70s on ABC’s Wide World of Sports but didn’t know they were still plunging into the sea. I spent three days with the divers, who – if they don’t time their dives right – may crash into way-too-shallow water. Occasionally there are fatalities. I had two days between the Mazatlan trip and a 24-day journey down the Grand Canyon and wrote this piece at the sleek Hotel Valley Ho in Scottsdale.
- Michael Shapiro will talk about “The Creative Spark”
- Modernism Week, Palm Springs
- Michael Shapiro Speaks at College of Marin Friday Afternoon Author Series
- Michael Shapiro will speak about The Creative Spark at the Concord Museum & Event Center
- Michael Shapiro will speak about The Creative Spark at Books, Inc. in Mountain View
- Michael Shapiro on KNBR with Murph and Mac
- Going Public with Personal or Political Work: A Visual and Literary Artist Discussion